Monday, April 19, 2010

I think he is starting to turn the corner....

I think today was a bit of a turning point!!! Jacob had a good nights sleep...he slept thru the night...Paul and I took turns getting up to check on him....He awoke around 7am. and layed in bed for awhile.  The minute his feet hit the ground he put on shoes and his coat was sitting next to him and remember he slept in his clothes....I think he thought maybe he was finally going back...I sat on the couch with him and we watched cartoons together...We asked him to brush his teeth and he started crying....He spent the next 1hr. in the bathroom w/me sitting next to him sobbing telling me over and over he wanted to go home...We called a Chinese speaking friend to speak to him and he started to settle down a bit...Paul ended up brushing his teeth for him and he was not happy....We went down to breakfast and he refused to eat anything...We then met our guide in the lobby at 9am.  We were off to the Civil Affairs Office to do the paperwork for the adoption and make it official...At the civil affairs office he saw the lady from the orphanage and again I think he thought he might finally be going home...We then were called into the office to sign the paper work and answer a few questions...We had to promise to always take care of, never abandon an provide Pan Shi Zheng with a good education...We enthusiastically said YES!!! Then Paul and I had to sign all the paperwork and Shi Zheng had to sign by his hand print...they put his hand in red ink and he had to put his hand print on the paperwork by our signatures and fingerprints...I think this was the moment he realized this was FOREVER and he would not be going back to the orphanage...
We came back to the hotel with our guide and asked her to come up to our room with us to help us convince Jacob he needed to change clothes...She talked with him and he agreed, apparently he was afraid if he took off his clothes he thought we would get rid of them....We promised we will never get rid of his clothes (I actually have all of the outfits the girls came with from the orphanage as well)  but would like to wash them...he agreed and put on some of the clothes we brought for him...the clothes we brought are a bit too big as he is smaller than I had thought he was...He is built very much like Jade....skinny...but muscular...Caleb says Jacob has 6 pack abs!!! We then took him for luch and he was hugary since he didn't eat any breakfast...He loves noodle dishes (which is typical the people in the North part of China are more noodle eaters and the people in the South of China eat more rice) he ate some of my shrimp, Pauls fish and again he loves cucumbers!!!! We then went shopping for some new clothes for him...Our guide asked him if he ever had any new clothes and he said "No, they shared clothes in the orphanage" He picked out a pair of pants and a shirt and was very proud to carry the bag back to the room!!! He still insists on wearing the long underwear type pants under his jeans but that is ok...He looked sooo cute in his vintage Stone Temple Pilots t-shirt Paul had bought for him...and warm sweatshirt I bought him at LL Bean before I left.  He even agreed to the super hero underwear I bought...We went back to our room...the boyz watched TV and Mom hit a wall (only sleeping like 4 to 5 hrs a night) and HAD to take a nap...I slept for like 3 hrs. and woke up a much better Mama....Earlier in the day the orphanage agreed for Jacob's 2 buddies from the orphanage to call us so they could speak to him....This is the biggest problem for him...he misses these 2 boys really bad!!! The boys were supposed to call at 4pm but something came up and they are going to call tomorrow instead...I was suprised that Jacob was ok with this...I need to do some investigation when I get back to find out more about these boys...not sure what their special needs are but they looked good and healthy to me!!! I only pray someday they find families!!! Paul woke me from my nap and to my suprise!! Jacob, Paul and Caleb were all standing there in swimming suits ready to go swimming!!! I put on my suit and down we went...Jacob, LOVED the pool!!!! It was precious to see him in the pool for the first time in his life!!! there was another little boy in the pool he was asian but live in the U.S. and spoke English (Jacob spoke Chinese to him but Ben only spoke English)  his name was Ben he was 5yrs. old and he splashed Jacob on purpose...Jacob started LAUGHING!!!! his first smile, laugh and swim all at the same time!!! He became soooo happy!!! the water was very shallow and I stayed right by his side....as time went by more and more of his body went into the water....soon I was teaching him how to blow bubbles!!! We swam for awhile until Jacob became cold...so we warmed him up and took him back to the room....We all changed clothes and went down for appetizers and drinks...Jacob had 2 sprites and took his Baba around showing him what foods he likes...then much to our suprise when he was done was asking the waiters to come over andtake his plate away...We then went to the mall for a walk (the most amazing mall is basically in the lower level of our hotel)...we took Jacob to a store and he picked out another shirt, we then took the boys to McDonalds for dinner...Jacob enjoyed the french fries and sprite....We went back to the room...it was bathtime!!! I was not looking forward to this...Much to my surprise he jumped into the tub but asked me to leave (however, I spied on him) he did a great job washing his hair and body...he started to dress in his clothes but I stopped him and asked him to put on Pj's...he agreed and put on his Spongebob Pj's!!! Yea!!! another battle behind us...Caleb and him played PSP's for awhile...Paul and I kissed him good night and asleep he went!!! He is a VERY polite, sweet boy...never harmful or angry...just sad sometimes....he is now saying Thank you to us when we give him something...Caleb is really warming up to him!!! He is trying really hard to keep him engaged!!!
I can tell they are bonding as well.....Jacob has a physical exam tomorrow...Since he changed his clothes I was able to check out his leg issue....Not too bad...he might have a little limp but nothing noticeable...It looks alot to me like what Jade's issue is and the umbillical cord was wrapped around the bottom portion of his leg and changed the muscular structure....Yet, just another sign this beautiful child was ment to be our's!!!! God gave us Jade for a reason as well as Lily and Jacob!!! Oh, yea and without our most loving and caring son Caleb who is willing to share his Mom and Dad and take care of all these siblings!!!!
Good Night....

It's Offical


1st Time in the Pool...

I love sprite and vegtables

One happy Mama

Jacob's first McDonalds

11 comments:

  1. I am so touched by your journey. I love that we can "walk" it with you through your blog. I can't wait for your next posting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, I'm crying again! Thanks for keeping us posted; this is all great news. Your handsome little Jacob is America's newest Packer fan. :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kym - I do hope you and Paul and your family can join us in North Carolina this July for our reunion. We'd love to see the whole family again and meet Jacob.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Paul and Kym,Thank you for sharing this family experience. I am tearing up everytime I read a new post and I love the pictures! God bless your family, Millie Castillo

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an amazing journey you're on...and I feel fortunate that you're letting us go along for the ride. Sounds like each day bring a new adventure. I think I've fallen in love with Caleb...what a fantastic big brother he is to Jacob already. Thank you, Paul and Kym, for sharing...Deb Frederick

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok...must admit I'm jealous of your hotel and POOL, not to mention the warm weather! :) I am so glad Jacob is easing into his new family. It is such a blessing to see the first genuine smile and it only gets better! My prayers are still with you as you trudge through the paperwork process. Thanks for the updates! Now I know why people were addicted to our journey! I'm hooked! :) God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Incredible!!! I am glued to your blog and get excited for each new entry. Your details are awesome Kym!! Looks like that NWTC degree is coming in handy:) Imagine Jacob's excitement when he finds out he'll have his very own "hotel pool!" Jacob will have this whole story to read over and over when he's older. Thanks again for letting us in
    Love Sue

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much for the updat! I enjoyed reading it with my son. We are so happy for your family. Love to see more pictures.

    Take care.

    Ming

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so happy that Jacob feels better today and glad that Guofei can be of some help. Thank you for the update.

    he will change and bond with you day by day. Enjoy Beijing!

    Ming

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Paul and Kym,
    I was just introduced to your blog by Mary from Adoption Associates in Farmington Hills, Mi. My husband and I are leaving on May 27th to pick up our daughter Samantha. She is 6 years old. I am grateful to be able to read your blog. I cried while reading your first post. I think it really it me today, that this is real and that I am going to be a mommy in a couple of days. Thank you for sharing your journey and God Bless you all.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Vicki,
    Good Luck I would love to hear how your trip goes!!!! It is really wonderful....and thing do get better and easier with time....Kym

    ReplyDelete