Thursday, April 22, 2010

A Visit to the Summer Palace

We were supposed to go to the Great Wall today but the weather was cold and raining...So our guide took us to the Summer Palace instead...The Summer Palace is located about 40 min. from our hotel. 
The Summer Palace was built in 1750 by the Emperor Qianlong it's name was Garden of Clear Ripples.  The Palace and gardens were destroyed and rebuilt twice in 1886 & 1902.  The Palace was the Summer resort for the Empress Dowager, she used it as her summer home.  It is a very beautiful place with many artfully constructed buidings and beautiful gardens...Jacob was a trooper but I could tell he was bored...he had been to the Summer Palace before with the orphanage.  I did notice alot of people looking at us and I am sure people made comments about why we Americans were with a Chinese boy...Cindy our guide said she thought he was a bit embarrassed because of the people's stares...I told her once we are in the U.S. people won't look twice at us as this is pretty common...
After leaving the Summer Palace we stopped for lunch at a Sichuan restaurant.  I  am amazed at how Jacob loves spicy food...It was pretty funny as when we were about to leave a bunch of the waitstaff gathered around Caleb...I asked Caleb what they were asking him and he had no idea becuase they all were speaking Chinese...We then stopped at a bookstore...I wanted to get Jacob some books for him to read and some workbooks...I hate to tell him but soon once we return he will still have to keep up on his studies!!! He picked out some books one about dinosaurs and one about ancient history...good choices!!! We got him many workbooks mainly math and he told us no more!!! As we were getting ready to check out I heard a guy demonstrating this reading device....we went over to check it out...it was similar to the leap pad reading system but it's books have both Chinese and English words for an item....you point to the Chinese word and it says it then you point to the English word and it says it...We bought the system as it will not only be a good way for Jacob to learn English but also for the kids to learn Chinese...I figure it is something they can sit down and do together.... We went back to the room and Jacob immediatly put on the TV and started watching cartoons...We brought along a selection of cartoons that were in Chinese...they have been a good distraction but again I hate to tell him we are being overly generous with the TV watching right now...
He did start to get a little weepy and I caught him crying softly to himself...this was the first time today he got sad or atleast showed it...Looking for a distraction I pulled out the memory game I brought and started playing it with Caleb.  We asked Jacob to join us but he refused...I could tell he was watching us....Caleb and I continued to play...Paul left to make a call in the lobby and all the sudden Jacob came down on the floor with us and started to play...He was a pro and ended up wining!!! We played a few games and again I got some smiles!!!!
Last night Paul and I took the boys down to the pool....He loves the pool!!! We took along a ball and he LOVED throwing the ball as hard as he could and making Caleb and Paul swim to get it....Caleb again was a really good brother because when him and Jacob were both going for the ball Caleb would always let him get it first...He is also starting to get more brave and even tried going in the deeper part of the pool....He will be enrolled in swimming lessons when we get home....
It is soooo cute when he smiles...he tries so hard not to...sometimes it just slips out!!!
Well we are on our way down to eat something...This hotel couldn't have worked out any better....Since we have been eating such big lunches we haven't been too hungary for dinner...but since we are staying on the club level of the hotel every night they put out really nice appetizers, desserts and drinks...So instead of going out for dinner we have just been having a few snacks and drinks then to bed early....
Our guide picks us up at 7:30am tomorrow...we have to stop at the hospital to have Jacob's TB skin test checked then we are off to the airport for a 10:30am flight to Xi'an, China.  Jacob's first plane ride!!! We will fly to Xi'an to see the Terra Cotta Warriors and the tomb of Qin Shihuang di which date back to 210 B.C. and were just discovered in 1974...
As I am sitting here he and Caleb as putting together a lego car set....he is really becoming more engaging...



1 comment:

  1. Kym, it has been amazing following your blog! I am so excited to see what God is doing in your family and your life. Hopefully I get to meet jacob! I miss your whole clan! :) I see typical Caleb being the wonderful big brother that he is to the girls to Jacob now. Jacob is a very lucky boy to get to be a part of your family. I will be keeping you in my prayers and remember I'm always more than willing to babysit if you and Paul need to steal a night away! Enjoy the rest of your journey abroad! :)
    Love,
    Rachel
    P.S. thank you so much for sending me the link to be able to follow along! I've enjoyed it greatly.

    ReplyDelete