Sunday, April 18, 2010

It's a boy and he's not a Happy Camper!!!

After a really nice breakfast this morning we met our guide Cindy in the hotel lobby at 10am to take care of the banking part of the adoption.  After the bank she showed us around the area...pretty much a HUGE mall and many places to eat and a laundry service (I packed light so we will either have to buy more clothes or have them washed).  We departed for the orphanage at noon.  It was about a 40min. drive w/out much traffic.  Beijing has become a very modern city, yet mixed in the historic city...Except for the extream pollution a very nice city...
We arrived at the orphanage gate and before we could enter had to have a temperature scan. 

Beijing CWI

We were told we couldn't take pictures once inside the gates so we put our camera's away.  We walked into a very nice lobby with no kids in sight...Then were led into another formal type room. There we signed paperwork and then I started to get nervous.  Before I knew it he was walking through the door...What a beautiful boy!!!

He walked in crying...came up to Paul and I and said Mama and Baba I could tell he was told he had to say that...he continued to cry we both kissed and hugged him but he was pretty unhappy...the orphanage director and another staff member as well as our guide tried to console him but nothing was working...We continued to touch and kiss him....I was able to ask the staff a few questions about him before it was time to walk out the door...I grabbed his backpack (which contained all the things I sent him in prior pacakages that he hasn't seen yet and the photo books, which he did get to see) and out the door we went...He was being pretty much dragged out the door by the orphanage staff...We got into the parking lot and he was resisting big time!!! the orphanage director allowed his 2 best friends to come outside to say good bye!!! All the sudden these 2 boys come out of the front door and come to Jacob...They both gave him a big hug!!! The bigger of the 2 boys started to cry as he said he wanted a family too!! I wanted to say "jump in let's go"...both boys helped Jacob to the car we got in I held him and we left................................
We had to stop to get a family picture and passport photo's of him, then we got back to the hotel...our guide Cindy came to our room...we showed Jacob his room , bed, his I-pod and PSP games...he was semi interested in the game....However, for the next 4hrs. or so he just cried and kept saying he wanted to go back to the orphanage...We just kept, rubbing his back and kissing his head....he was just sooooo sad....How would you like it if you were taken out of the home you lived in for the past 7 years or so and were given to 2 people who's ethnic race you have never seen before (Jacob has never seen an American person maybe only on TV and that is doubtful), and all the sudden they just started kissing you and loving you??? I was hesitant to go for dinner...but our good friend Xiao Xiohung (Paul used to work w/her in Beijing) came to pick us up for dinner.....this actually turned out to be a good thing....Xiao Xiohung took us to a famous Peking duck place and Jacob ordered his own dinner.....I think he was quite proud!!! He LOVES cucumbers!!! I am so happy that he and I can grow them in our garden this summer...he also ordered wheat noodles...he ate well and had 2 sprites...I don't think he has ever had a soda before because the way he enjoyed them were priceless....He doesn't have any table manners but we will work on that...
We all ate a great dinner and then were ready for bed....We stopped at a grocery store on our way back to the hotel so the boys could get some ice cream....We got back to the room and Jacob and Caleb ate ice cream in bed....they played their PSP's and the crying as stopped for a few hours...I called Jade and Lily on the Skype and Jacob heard what was going on and ran right over to the computer to say Ni hao to his Jie Jie (big sister) and Mai Mai (little sister)...I was very happy to see his reaction....I think because they are both Chinese he will feel more comfortable...He then popped into bed and went to sleep....I tried to get him to put on pajama's but he wouldn't...and mind you this kid is wearing atleast 3 layers of clothing...he has on long johns under his long pants...and I think atleast 3 pair of socks, everytime we go anywhere he insists on wearing his winter coat and it is about 70 degrees here today....Oh yea, to all my Green Bay friends and family guess what Jacob had on today!!! his Green Bay Packer sweatshirt that Paul and I sent to the orphanage!!! Paul and Caleb both had Green Bay Packer shirts on as well...I atleast got him to take off his sweatshirt before bed but he was not willing to put on his Spongbob PJ's....I will pick my battles for now!!!
One of the best parts of today is that he has not once tried to push us away....we are alway kissing him, holding him and touching him....I think that is a REALLY good sign!!! This child wants to be loved and have a family it might just take a few days to get used to us.....Good night to all!!! I am SOOOOOOOO tired and not sure I will sleep....
Daddy trying to make Jacob feel better


Caleb is trying to show him the ropes!

Brothers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, that is such a tear jerker. My heart goes out to all of you. Time will help and Jacob will love you all and will love being part of the family. Keep up the wonderful job and keep faith. It will all work out. Love,Erin

    ReplyDelete
  2. A big hug to all of you from Dick & Donna. It won't be long before Jacob understands how loved he is and what a wonderful family has chosen him. We can't wait to meet him; can't wait until he is terrorizing the neighborhood with the rest of the kids. Love, The Bonyuns.
    p.s. A special hug to Caleb for being such a fantastic big brother.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My heart and thoughts are with you! I remember all to well this transition phase. All will be well sooner than you think and you will be amazed at how easy it becomes - most of the time :) I showed Simon the pics and he was excited to see his friend with a big brother too! Much love to all of you on this journey! Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh you guys!! I read the blog about 4 times today. I am so proud of all of you my dear friends!!
    What a beautiful journey you are beginning, and such a brave and lucky boy is entering your lives. Keep up the great work. The love you are showering him with will just keep growing. In no time he will be returning it to you all. Caleb you rock!!
    Love, Sue

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a amazing and wonderful trip!As time goes on,Jacob will feel your love,and love you and the family.You are really really great baba and mama!Good Luck! Ling

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow. how inspiring... I am crying at my desk reading this (thinking I should read the rest at home).. you both are so amazing for adopting him, and showing him love!!! Truly one of the best things I have ever read...

    ReplyDelete