Tuesday, April 20, 2010

The words of the day are emotional and jet lag....

Jet lag is really starting to set in for Caleb and I...Paul is very resistant he has always amazed me how well he can travel...
After a good nights sleep..I am so thankful that Jacob is a good sleeper at night so far no nightmares or anything like that...he wakes up well and immediatly puts on clothes and shoes.  Today we had to meet our guide Cindy in the lobby at 7:15am...Jacob had his medical appt...Believe me I have a whole new appreciation for the U.S. healthcare system....his physical consisted of us going from room to room (small rooms) with many people in it...NO privacy!!! everyone in line getting the same examination...they checked his vision, hearing, ears, nose, throat, blood pressure, they took 3 vials of blood, urine, TB test, EKG and full physical...believe me when I say NO privacy, standing in a room with other people and he had to bend over and touch his toes if you know what I mean....my poor baby!!! Rooms full of people in line getting the same examinations....I sure hope the U.S. healthcare system never get's like this....We did get some good news however, He only has cleft lip NOT palate...His leg is still unexplained but I am certain it is because the unbillical cord was wrapped around it...and he has a mild club foot.  I can't wait to get him to Children's Hospital in Philadelphia and have him checked out...All of these issues are basically cosmetic and really don't stop him in anyway...He ended up getting 2 more vaccinations which should make him pretty much up to date by U.S. standards...Jacob handled everything very well and never cried or showed pain....
After the doctor we stopped at a local dept. store....Jacob insists on wearing long john type pants under his jeans (wearing layers and always being warm is a part of the Chinese culture)...since he only came with one pair of these-very warm winter ones we stopped to buy him some lighter cotton ones....Again he was very worried we would get rid of his pants but we reasurred him we only wanted to wash them. 
We got back to the hotel for lunch...Jacob told Paul what to order but ended up not eating much...He complained his arms hurt and he looked very uncomfortable so I cut my lunch short and took him back to the room...I gave him some tylenol and put him down for a nap, hoping I could get one as well...however, rest time only lasted a few short minutes...I then put on Mulan and sat down to watch it with him...we watched it for a short time until he brought me the Chinese cartoon DVD to watch instead....we sat down and watched that together...Paul and Caleb came back to the room and I decided to take a nap, which lasted like 3 hrs. 
Caleb fell asleep (I could tell he was tired as he was crabby all day).  We were meeting with Guo Fei at 5pm. she is a friend of Ming's from AAI (AAI is our adoption agency).  Guo Fei agreed to meet with us to talk to Jacob and discuss what was going on...I couldn't get Caleb to wake up so Paul, I and Jacob went down to meet with Guo Fei...she was terriffic!!! she was very patient with Jacob...she asked him questions and more importantly she explained to him how much we Love him and why we decided to adopt him...Agian he expressed to her how much he misses his friends from the orphanage...He was very disapointed because again today they were supposed to call and they didn't...We have got to make this phone call happen!!!
I had Guo Fei read Jacob a letter I had prepared for him...Ling Sun translated it for me...with the help of Guo Fei, Jacob read the whole letter out loud himself....in the letter I expressed to him how much I loved him the first time I saw his picture, how Paul and I would alway take care of him, provide him with everything he needs including a good education and a loving family... I asked Guo Fei to ask him why he thought we wanted to adopt him and he had no idea??? She explained to him the story of how this came about...
I told him our intention was to alway adopt a Chinese baby....Paul used to work and travel to China alot!! Paul had visited a few orphanages and we decided it was something we wanted to do someday...We had Caleb then decided to adopt our 2nd daughter Jade...We then wanted a sister for Jade and Caleb so we adopted Lily...Then one day I was on a field trip with Jade's class and I checked my email on my Iphone...there was an email from Ming that said looking for a loving home for Jake...the name Jake caught my attn: Paul and I always said if we had another child we would want a boy and we would name him Jacob...anyway...I immediatly sent Ming a return email saying I would like some more information on this child...before she would I had to send her information about us to see if we were even qualified...Long story short...Paul came home that night and I said " you better have a glass of wine" Ming had sent us a picture of Jacob and we opened it togther....We both looked at this beautiful child and just knew he was our's...
We worked very hard to do all the things we needed to do to make this adoption happen as fast as possible!! it was not easy and unfortunatly, it seems like the process is getting harder and harder...There were many signs along the way that made me feel confident we were doing the right thing....I always told Paul I would not have anymore children once I turned 40yrs. old...Well, we ended up getting approval from the Chinese Govt. the day before my 40th birthday!!! Another sign this was ment to be is that since we have started this process the Chinese Govt. has changed their rules...Paul and I found Jacob and THEN started doing the ppw....Now you have to do the ppw first and THEN find a child...I am a BIG believer in everything is ment to be...and in this case that is the truth!!!
I only hope someday Jacob will know and understand the story of how he joined our family...
Jacob also explained to Guo Fei he is worried because he does not understand English....and is afraid if he learns English he will forget how to speak Chinese....She reasured him that eventually, he can speak both languages...she also told him that we are all trying to learn Chinese and he was happy with that...
We also told him that even though he was moving to the U.S. he is still Chinese and so are his sisters...we appreicate and will always embrace their Chinese culture with food and celebrations...We also have many pieces of Chinese art in our home...The point I was trying to make to him is just becuase you are moving to the U.S. doesn't mean you will lose your culture...
Another good thing that happend to day was when he was asked about all the hugging, kissing and affection being shown to him by his parents did he mind? Guo Fei said the Chinese culture is not really huggy, kissy...however I told her we are....Jacob said he did not mind the hugging and kissing he didn't say he liked it but again he doesn't not like it...so that his awesome!! I am sure in good time he will just be another kid in and out of our bed in the coarse of the night...
Guo Fei as well as other adults who have met Jacob have commented on what a nice, polite boy he is...he is really soft spoken and full of emotion....I really think he is doing great considering the circumstances...
Tomorrow...we get our adoption certif. and we apply for his Chinese passport...Thursday we are going to the Great Wall and will have a few days of sighseeing and fun...
Thanks to all of you following this journey....I know these posts are long but it is really good for me to put all this down...someday it will be very important to Jacob to have all this documented....I better get to bed...I mentioned earlier Caleb hit a wall well he has been sleeping since like 3pm this afternoon....hopefully, he sleeps thru the night...

4 comments:

  1. Good morning Caleb, Mr. and Mrs. Farr and Jacob!!!!!
    Our class just read your blogs and looked at the pictures. We are so happy that things are getting better. Harrison and Scotty are not surprised that Caleb taught Jacob video games the first day. He can teach him about the Packers next! We all found the ink hand print experience interesting.
    Have a terrific time at the Great Wall of China.
    We will keep reading your blog.
    Sincerely,
    Mrs. Parent and the 5th grade class
    Sincerely

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been looking forward to reading your blog each morning Kym, and I'm so moved by your journey. Jacob is a very lucky little boy to have found such a wonderful family to be a part of.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Again thank you Kym for the wonderful words. Jacob is a strong and smart little boy!!! His concerns are very mature and understandable. He is blessed and so are all of the Farrs!! Have a great time at The Great Wall. Can't wait to hear more! Love, Sue

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh, I can't read these without tearing up. What a wonderful journey.I look forward to reading a new one each day. You guys our in our thoughts and prayers. Keep up the awesome job. Your right Kym, it WAS meant to be! Luv,Erin

    ReplyDelete